Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Downsizing with flair

I picked up a pair of embroidered jeans on the clearance rack of a discount store. It was the only pair and they were nearly 2 sizes too big.

They are stretch jeans and were full length with a skinny leg. I couldn't take the waist in at the sides because of the embroidery, so I had to add darts on the back.
They still looked weird - super skinny ankles but colourful flowers bringing attention to my hips.
I chopped a few inches off the length and used some of the scraps to make flared inserts to widen the legs. I left the darker seam allowance on the outside. Then frayed a strip of dark denim from my stash to make hem trim. I like this proportion a lot more!

Bleach T-shirt designs - Beyond the basics



Hi all,

Last week I made a simple bleach t-shirt design. It was a fun project so I decided to see how far I could tack the technique. In this video I share some more tips and several more projects.


Happy Re-fashioning,


Monday, April 16, 2018

Simple Chambray Snip

I found this chambray shirt on sale in a charity shop. Mine!
But the sleeves were much too wide and - as always - too long for me.


And it was missing a button.

I narrowed the sleeves, and shortened them.
And I took the button from the washing instructions, and sewed it on where a button was missing.
And that was it, ready for use.

And yes, it is wrinkly. I did on purpose not iron it, as I like a casual boho look of non-ironed chambray.


Sunday, April 15, 2018

Toooh-Tally Tubular 80s Refash

Hey there readers! Today we are going back in time to the toooh-tally tubular 80s!
This dress is totally ugly to the max! This poor dress is in dire need of some updating!
DSCN1490

DSCN1516
I used a dress that I really liked the length to use as a guide on where to hem my new dress.

DSCN1523
I hemmed my new dress with a 1 inch hem.

DSCN1517
I removed the 3 buttons from the waist. I did actually like the buttons where they were but I came up with a better idea!
Que the embroidery machine!

DSCN1518
I found a very pretty embroidery pattern from Embroidery Designs.

DSCN1519
I altered the original thread colors to black, silver and medium gray.

DSCN1520
I wanted to make a statement neckline for this dress. I opted for a key hole neckline. I used a glass bowl for a template.

DSCN1521
I sewed up the neckline on the maroon neckline and the black part of the dress.

DSCN1524
I used a very pretty decorative stitch to sew the black portion of the neckline, which made it loose it's shape. I then had to fix this problem stitching it closer up the neckline to the maroon part.

DSCN1525
Lastly, I wanted to use another decorative stitch for some detail on the sleeves. I had to use my seam ripper to open up the sleeves to make sewing on the sleeves possible. This actually worked out GREAT because I had to take in the sleeves by 1/2 in. to 1 in.
I drew the path of the stitch with tailor's chalk.

DSCN1526
I mimicked the colors that were in the waistband for the detail on the sleeves. Which I think this really ties the dress together!

DSCN1527
I took in the sleeves and part of the waist to make this a little more snug!

IMG_0856[1051]
For my Birthday present my very talented friends made me these beautiful wooden signs! You could own some of their work too! Check out Blue Water Woodcraft on Etsy!
Happy Refashioning!!!

Check out my stash of refashions on my blog!

The more spots the better






I've had this shirt for ages, and wore it a lot for a while.  It's what my friend calls a 'home jobbie' - someone (other than me) made this shirt quite carefully and used a good quality polyester (?) fabric.  Only she was shorter and wider than me, and it never felt quite right. 













So I put it aside for years waiting on a solution.  The trouble with navy is that it's quite hard to match - this one has quite a lot of black, and then, there's the polka dots.  And then one day at a sewing class someone brought in fabric to swap and there it was!  I like the fact the dots are a different size, I think it looks more intentional.  Finally, I could add the extra length!  First I took it in at the princess seams front and back, because it was wide and boxy - I went a little too far though, and ended up reverting the back seams to their original position.  A little boxy can be a good thing - the shoulders looked weird when it was too tailored.






But it still wasn't quite right.  It looked unbalanced - and so the sleeves got a band of dots as well.  Then I changed the buttons as I added an extra buttonhole right at the bottom.  Seeing I didn't have a matching button I removed them all and made them all different - so that looks intentional too.  Plus, I love odd buttons.

 
Happy sewing!